Light the Way with Dixie! You’ve worked hard to get the home of your dreams…
Six Crucial Spring Cleaning Tips for Plumbing and HVAC after Winter
Spring cleaning is an annual rite of homeowners. Winter leaves behind a mess of neglect and wear-and-tear and it’s important to clean up that mess and get ready for summer.
In order to help keep your heating, cooling and plumbing systems in good working condition as the seasons change, here are a few spring cleaning tips:
- Outside faucets. Make sure water is flowing OK and when the faucets is turned off, there are no drips. Also check to make sure there are no leaks inside your home where faucets are located.
- Make sure yards, drains, gutters and spouts are cleaned out and draining properly.
- Check your furnace exterior vent pipe and make sure it is clean and unobstructed. Birds like to nest there, so this is a common problem.
- To check for leaks, put a few drops of food coloring in your reservoir tank; if the water in the toilet bowl turns that color, you have a leak.
- Shower heads. Over time, water flowing through your shower heads will naturally lead to deposits of calcium and other minerals which can and will clog the head. Soaking the shower head in plain white vinegar will dissolve these deposits. Place vinegar in plastic bag, tie it securely over the head and soak overnight.
- Inspect your exterior dryer vent (see furnace vent pipe above).
Contact us if you want any assistance with these tasks or other service/maintenance issues. Call Dixie, and it’s done!