It’s called the Great Chicago Fire. It started on October 8, 1871, killing more than 250 people and leaving 100,000 homeless. To mark this tragedy, Fire Prevention Week is now held every year during the week of October 9th. As part of Fire Prevention Week 2018 Dixie Electric, Plumbing & Air is urging you to take steps to protect your home, your life, and the lives of family members.
Sadly, Alabama annually ranks as one of the most dangerous states when it comes to the rate of fire deaths. You need to have a fire prevention plan in your home. At a very minimum it should include:
- Install smoke detectors if you don’t have them
- Test the smoke detectors you already have and change the batteries
- Plan an escape route with your family
- Make sure space heaters or wood stoves are used correctly
The Fire Prevention Week website is filled with other great suggestions and fire prevention tips.
After you’ve taken care of all the common-sense precautions, the next step is a fire safety inspection. Fires are often caused by problems that only trained people like our electricians in Montgomery, AL can spot. When Dixie comes into your home and does a Safe and Sound electrical inspection, we use our expertise and sophisticated tools to spot potential problems. These are just a few of the items the inspection includes:
- Infrared thermal imaging
- This technology peeks through walls and ceilings to pick up “warmwire” spots that are on their way towards a meltdown or ignition. This is critical in early detection.
- Ultrasonic arc protection
- This tool uses surveillance sonar to identify slight resonant vibrations set off by loose connections that can lead to sparks and fires.
- Complete circuit analyzer
- Verifies proper wiring while pinpointing loose connections and faulty grounds.
- Circuit tracer
- Verifies proper labeling, wiring and breaker size at each circuit. Speeds detection, helps avoid overload.
- GFI receptacle check
- We check and test all “wet” or hazard locations with GFI plugs.
- Electrical panel survey
- We check your entire panel for loose connections, corrosion and proper grounding.
A Safe and Sound inspection is doubly important if you live in an older home. Electrical wiring, switches, outlets, and breaker panels can all deteriorate over time.
The biggest thing to take away from Fire Prevention Week 2018 is to be proactive. Many, if not most home fires are preventable. Don’t gamble with your family’s safety. Take action now. Your friends at Dixie Electric, Plumbing & Air are always here to help. Be sure to like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more great HVAC, plumbing, and electrical advice.