Do you have a Model A or some other antique car sitting in the garage? Even if you do it’s probably not your daily driver. It’s there for special occasions and nostalgia. So, here’s the question, why is there still an old mechanical-type thermostat on the wall of your house? Dixie Electric, Plumbing & Air features a full line of programmable, Wi-Fi and smart thermostats. They will give you complete control of your comfort systems and save you money.
What’s right for you?
As always this depends on your lifestyle, preference, and how comfortable you are with technical devices. Let’s go through some of the choices to help you decide.
There is still a place for this type of device. Except for older homes, these are no longer mechanical. Nowadays, even manual thermostats feature digital technology. If you’re considering manual thermostats here are some things to consider:
- They are being installed in fewer & fewer homes
- Manual thermostats are affordable & easy to operate with a single temperature setting
- This type of thermostat does not save energy UNLESS you are diligent about changing the temperature setting at night or when you leave to go to work
These allow you to set up a heating and cooling schedule based on the hours you are in the home. Once you program the thermostat, it will adjust the temperature setting on its own. This gives you significant advantages over a manual thermostat:
- It can turn the temperature up or down when you leave for work in the morning
- The schedule can be set to change temperature before you come back home to make the house comfortable when you arrive
- Most can switch automatically between heating & cooling
- Used correctly, programmable thermostats can cut energy usage significantly
Unfortunately, too many people don’t use these thermostats correctly. In fact, a recent survey showed 40% of owners don’t set up a schedule so they aren’t really saving any money.
Wi-Fi or smart thermostats
These have all the benefits of a programmable thermostat with one big addition. They are connected to your home Wi-Fi network. This gives you complete control of your heating and cooling systems from literally anywhere using your mobile device.
- On days the kids get out of school early, use your smartphone to change the setting so the house is comfortable when they get off the bus.
- Left home in a hurry to start your vacation and forgot to change the thermostat? No problem.
- Stormy weather hits while you’re away from home? Check on the status of the system no matter where you are.
The latest wrinkle in the technology is the Wi-Fi thermostat with smart technology. The thermostat “learns” things based on your schedule and your environment. Smart thermostats can factor in the local weather forecast and use sensors to learn your temperature preferences. As it gathers information the thermostat uses computer algorithms to create a heating and cooling schedule. In short, the smart thermostat programs itself. Many models offer voice control with smart speakers like Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
Determine what’s best for you
Depend on Dixie Electric, Plumbing & Air to help determine what is the right thermostat to help you save money and make your home more comfortable. We feature thermostats by Nexia, Sensi, and Honeywell. All three brands represent cutting edge technology in the field of systems control. Contact us today to learn more about getting rid of that antique on your wall and move into the 21st century.