Ask any HVAC professional, whether wholesaler, retailer, manufacturer, or installer, and they will tell you…
Since Alabama winters are typically short, cold and wet, either an electric heat pump or a natural gas furnace is a good choice for heating your Auburn area home. Both are very popular for home-heating and both have advantages and disadvantages. Other factors aside, the one you choose may come down to whether natural gas is available in your neighborhood.
Heat Pump vs. Natural Gas: The Pros & Cons
Natural Gas Furnace Advantages:
- The cost of natural gas is typically the least expensive of all available heat sources.
- Since natural gas is less costly, a natural gas furnace is very efficient to operate, making it more affordable over time.
- A natural gas furnace is used only for heating, so the longevity is usually about 15 – 20 years.
Natural Gas Furnace Disadvantages:
- The upfront costs tend to be higher for natural gas furnaces. However, the cost differential may be made up over time with the overall operating savings.
- Natural gas produces emissions such as carbon monoxide, making a carbon monoxide detector vitally necessary.
- A furnace only provides heat, so a separate cooling unit will be necessary, especially in Alabama.
Heat Pump Advantages:
- It provides both heating and cooling, making it a versatile choice.
- There are no emissions with a heat pump, making it a clean energy source and eliminating the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Improved heat pump technology makes them effective even in very cold weather conditions.
Heat Pump Disadvantages:
- Its year round use causes more wear on components, contributing to the heat pump’s lifespan of 12 – 15 years.
- Electricity is often more expensive than natural gas, so operating costs will generally be greater.
- The heat pump doesn’t generate heat; it only blows transferred heat around the indoors, which may feel like cold air to some occupants.
The professionals at Dixie Electric, Plumbing & Air have the expertise to help you decide which heat source is the best option for your Auburn area home. Call our office today to schedule a no-cost consultation with one of Dixie’s Comfort Specialists.