School's out for the summer, which means your home is going to see more wear…
Spring cleaning is an annual rite of homeowners. Winter leaves behind a mess of neglect and wear-and-tear and it’s important to clean up that mess and get ready for summer.
In order to help keep your heating, cooling and plumbing systems in good working condition as the seasons change, here are a few spring cleaning tips:
- Outside faucets. Make sure water is flowing OK and when the faucets are turned off, there are no drips. Also check to make sure there are no leaks inside your home where faucets are located. Our plumbers here at Dixie can help your plumbing maintenance, too.
- Make sure yards, drains, gutters and spouts are cleaned out and draining properly.
- Check your furnace exterior vent pipe and make sure it is clean and unobstructed. Birds like to nest there, so this is a common problem.
- To check for leaks, put a few drops of food coloring in your toilet tank; if the water in the toilet bowl turns that color, you have a leak.
- Shower heads. Over time, water flowing through your shower heads will naturally lead to deposits of calcium and other minerals which can and will clog the head. Soaking the shower head in plain white vinegar will dissolve these deposits. Place vinegar in a plastic bag, tie it securely over the head and soak overnight. If you haven’t replaced your shower head in a long time, you might need to consider replacing it altogether. This is an easier solution and saves you the stress of wondering if you cleaned your old one properly.
- Inspect your exterior dryer vent, making sure there are no obstructions.
Call Dixie Electric, Plumbing, and Air Today
Contact us if you want any assistance with these tasks or other service/maintenance issues. We offer quality services when it comes to hiring a plumber or HVAC technician for your home’s repairs, installations, and replacements.