Do's and Don'ts: What Can You Pour Down the Kitchen Drain? Your kitchen drain is…
Toilet Clogged? What Not To Flush Down Your Toilet
What Not To Flush Down Your Toilet
Toilets are an essential part of our daily lives, but flushing the wrong things can lead to a clogged toilet, damage to the plumbing system and even environmental pollution. In this week’s blog, we’ll explore what not to flush down a toilet and why.
- Wet wipes and paper towels do not break down quickly in water, and they can cause blockages in your plumbing system. Even so-called flushable wipes aren’t designed to be flushed, and they can lead to expensive repairs and the need to call a plumber.
- Personal hygiene products should never be flushed down the toilet. They can cause blockages in the plumbing system, and they can also harm the environment by polluting waterways and oceans.
- Flushing medications down the toilet can pollute waterways and harm aquatic life. It is best to dispose of medications in a secure container and take them to a pharmacy or other drop off location for proper disposal.
- Diapers do not break down in water but actually expand when wet. Flushing them will clog a toilet and possibly cause more serious plumbing issues. It’s best to dispose of diapers in the trash.
- As with the kitchen sink, pouring cooking grease and oils down the toilet is a definite no-no. Grease and oils can harden and solidify in the pipes, causing clogs and major blockages.
- Flushing cigarette butts down the toilet can harm aquatic life and pollute waterways.
In conclusion, it is essential to remember that not everything should be flushed down the toilet.
To prevent the need to call a plumber for serious plumbing problems, environmental pollution and possible harm to aquatic life, it’s best to dispose of non-flushable items in the trash. By doing so, we can all do our part to protect the environment, prevent clogged toilets and avoid major plumbing issues down the road.
Dixie Electric, Plumbing & Air has highly skilled plumbers to help with all your plumbing challenges. If you have a clogged toilet, tub or sink drain or any other plumbing needs, just call Dixie to schedule an appointment today.