In the sweltering heat of an Alabama summer, a malfunctioning air conditioner can quickly turn into a nightmare. If you’re a DIY homeowner, understanding common AC issues can help you troubleshoot effectively, potentially saving you time, stress and repair costs.
If DIY is not your area of expertise, don’t worry. Dixie Electric, Plumbing & Air is the leading HVAC contractor in the Montgomery area. Our team of highly trained technicians can assess your specific issue and complete an AC repair to get your home comfort back on track in no time.
Air conditioner troubleshooting– Common problems and their possible causes:
- AC is running but isn’t cooling the room adequately: The issue may be due to a low refrigerant level or a dirty air filter. The refrigerant is responsible for absorbing heat. If it’s running low due to a leak or improper filling, your unit won’t cool effectively. Similarly, a clogged air filter can obstruct airflow, limiting the system’s cooling efficiency.
- Your air conditioner isn’t starting at all: This could be due to an electrical issue. Check your circuit breakers and power supply. If these seem fine, the problem may lie in the thermostat settings or the unit’s internal electrical connections. For electrical challenges, just call Dixie for an efficient AC repair.
- Rattling, buzzing or squealing sounds: This may be due to a mechanical problem. Loose parts may cause a rattling noise, a failing motor could buzz and worn-out fan belts might squeal. Ignoring these sounds could lead to a more serious and costlier breakdown.
- Leaks or standing water around your unit: Air conditioners naturally produce condensation, which should be properly drained away. However, if you notice leaking or standing water around your indoor or outdoor unit, there might be a clog in the drain line or an issue with the condensate pump.
- Musty or burning smells: You may have mold growth or an electrical issue. Mold usually builds up due to excess moisture and can pose health risks. While a burning smell might indicate overheating components, which could potentially lead to a fire. Either way, these are serious concerns that should be addressed by a professional HVAC technician. Just call Dixie Electric, Plumbing & Air today.
In most cases, regular maintenance can prevent these common AC issues. However, if your own air conditioner troubleshooting doesn’t resolve the problem, schedule an appointment with a Dixie Electric, Plumbing & Air professional. Dixie’s technicians have the skills and tools to handle more complex issues, ensuring your home remains a cool sanctuary amidst the summer heat.