Expect the best and prepare for the worst. It’s a common saying that applies to many situations, one of which is a power outage in the winter. At a minimum, being without electricity is inconvenient. The worst case scenario is the risk to your health and safety should you find yourself ill prepared when there’s a cold weather power outage.
Dixie Electric, Plumbing & Air is committed to the residents of the Montgomery and Auburn-Opelika areas we serve. We want to help you stay safe in every situation. Dixie’s electricians, plumbers and HVAC technicians work hard to ensure your home comfort systems are safe and in good operating condition. Providing guidelines for home emergencies such as a winter power outage is an important part of our commitment to you.
Winter ice storms can cause serious damage to trees and power lines resulting in power outages that can last hours or even days. Without electricity food can spoil with proper refrigeration; pipes can freeze and even burst when the heat is out; and, without proper planning you and your family could be at risk of exposure.
Follow these helpful tips to be ready for winter weather challenges:
- Make sure your pantry is stocked with nonperishable items such as jerky, nuts, granolas, cereals, juices, crackers, instant coffee, powdered milk and peanut butter.
- Be sure you have a flashlight for every room and extra batteries available, too.
- Winterize your home with weather stripping and by insulating windows, attics and doors.
- If you have a wood burning fireplace, be sure the chimney and flue are cleaned and functioning. Keep a stockpile of wood available.
- Block drafts to keep the cold air out.
- Have a battery-powered radio with plenty of batteries.
- A whole-house generator can be a great investment, but if that’s not an option, purchase a reliable portable generator. Have a supply of fuel on hand to operate it.
- If a store is imminent, fill bathtubs with water.
- Be sure your car’s gas tank is full.
Should you need the help of an electrician due to power surge issues once the electric is restored, Dixie Electric, Plumbing & Air can help.