Unfortunately, most of us know the struggle of having to dip into the emergency fund…
It seems everyone has a word of wisdom or two when it comes to air conditioning during the hot summer months. While some tips can be helpful, many others are simply not accurate. Here are some of the common myths, misperceptions and inaccurate advice many air conditioning professionals hear:
- Leaving the A/C running at a consistent temperature all day will save money and avoid spikes in usage. Actually, it’s not a good idea to set it and forget it. A better idea is to use a programmable thermostat, which allows you to schedule the system to cool (or not) when you want it to.
- When it’s time to buy, a large A/C system will cool your house better with less effort and cost. Bigger is not always better. What is more important is finding the right central A/C system that is optimal for your home, based on the size of your home and budget.
- Changing/cleaning your air filters is not as important in the summer as it is during the winter when your furnace is running. Definitely not true – dust and other particles are collected by filters year-round. It’s important to maintain regular air filter maintenance.
- Location of your central air conditioning unit does not matter and will not affect performance. Actually, where you install the unit is crucial – the north and east sides of your home will generally be more shady. Air conditioner efficiency decreases with prolonged operation in direct sunlight.
- Air conditioning units don’t need inspection or service unless something is wrong. On the contrary, regular preventative maintenance is the best way to ensure your system doesn’t break down in the dog days of summer and leave you uncomfortable.
Advice is great, but make sure you hear it from the professionals. Call Dixie today for a system analysis, inspection and maintenance to stay cool all summer.