No one likes a leaking pipe! Leaking pipes can be problematic for homeowners because they…
This story is set in fictional town and is not based on actual events, which doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen all the time.
Robert and Dora just love their home they bought a few years ago. To protect their investment and give them peace of mind they bought a home warranty. So, they weren’t too concerned when their HVAC systems stopped working. They started to get frustrated when it took days for an HVAC technician to arrive. The frustration turned to anger when the technician recommended a total system replacement, but the warranty company would only approve a band-aid repair. The technician told Robert and Dora the system is likely to fail again, but his hands are tied.
Dixie Electric, Plumbing & Air wants you to know there is value to home warranties, but the above story has many truthful elements.
- The home warranty company hires local HVAC contractors. In most cases those contractors make work for the warranty company their lowest priority because their own customers come first. As a result, you could be waiting for days.
- The best HVAC contractors have plenty of business and won’t do work for warranty companies. Many who do are just starting out in the business and don’t have much experience.
- Most home warranties only cover the part that fails. Even if the technician says more work needs to be done to keep it from happening again, the home warranty company considers it preventative and not covered by the warranty.
- Home warranty companies require technicians to use parts supplied by the company. The problem is, the warranty company typically buys the cheapest parts they can get.
- In some situations, a claim can be denied entirely when the homeowner thinks it’s covered. Home warranty plans often have “fine print” with a long list of reasons why a claim can be denied.
Before you think we are just going on a rant, Dixie knows there are reputable home warranties out there, but you should never consider them to be a replacement for routine maintenance on your systems. If you buy an extended warranty on your car do you still change the oil, air filters, brake pads, and rotate the tires? Of course you do.
Home warranty or not, signing up for the Dixie Cares Plan for HVAC maintenance is still a great idea. In fact, we believe it’s a better investment than many home warranties. Our annual tune-ups and preventative maintenance will greatly reduce the chances of needing expensive repairs. And when you do business with Dixie Electric, Plumbing & Air, you are dealing with people who live and work in the same communities you do. Decisions about your home comfort systems will be made by someone locally. Not someone in an office cubicle hundreds or thousands of miles away. Call Dixie now to learn more about the Dixie Cares Plan and be sure to like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.