Whether consciously or not, home safety is something every homeowner is concerned about. Maintaining a happy and healthy home is a must for the safety and comfort of our loved ones.
At Dixie Electric, Plumbing & Air, we value the safety of our customers above all else. While many factors play into the safety and comfort of a home, one thing that homeowners need to be aware of is the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a life-threatening emergency that occurs from inhaling carbon monoxide (CO) fumes. Studies have shown that a malfunctioning HVAC system could potentially be a source of carbon monoxide poisoning.
As carbon monoxide is a silent killer, it is vital to install a carbon monoxide detector. If you have any suspicions at all that there is something wrong, get in touch with a quality HVAC service professional at the earliest opportunity so that they can maintain and inspect your central heating system.
What causes carbon monoxide emissions?
HVAC units do not produce flames, so you may be wondering how this can result in carbon monoxide. Nevertheless, CO production cannot be ruled out if there is a gas furnace in an HVAC system.
When heating systems start to wear and tear, cracks and holes may develop in the furnace. When this happens, carbon monoxide from the partial combustion of the fumes could start escaping, which is how CO poisoning can occur.
What are some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
Carbon monoxide is tasteless, colorless, and odorless, which is why it is known as a silent killer. This is also what makes it so dangerous. Some of the ways that CO manifests itself are as follows:
- Shortness of breath
If unattended or left untreated, the presence of CO will progress and become a more dangerous illness. It can result in permanent brain damage and, in some cases, even death.
Dixie Cares: Preventative HVAC Maintenance
The HVAC unit in your home must be well-maintained with routine maintenance. You should keep a check for any defective parts, faults, or leaks. Having a reliable and experienced HVAC service professional that you can count on is essential.
Getting a CO detector installed is also a pivotal part of the process. This sensor will be able to determine if there is even the slightest leak of carbon monoxide. Of course, you need to make sure that you maintain the sensor and ensure that it is working at all times.
Call Dixie, and it’s done!
If you would like to learn more about home safety and ensure your property is not at risk of CO exposure, please do not hesitate to contact us for more information.
To schedule a service with Dixie, call for 334.232.0236 Montgomery or 334.835.5161 for Auburn. You can also schedule an appointment online.